Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Morning after the Storm

Last night we got some much needed rain.  In fact, at one point John and I were looking outside and saying it hasn't rained like this here in a long time.  Torrential rain.  Refreshing and healing rain.  Winds violent enough to blow trash cans around and send our pool next door, yet God protected our plants.  In fact, this morning when I went to check on the garden I was moved to see the plants healthier than they've ever looked.  They were standing taller with branches stretched upwards as if praising God for the much needed rain.  Though they had been tossed around the night before they were grateful for the life giving water.  Not just the kind of water that comes from the hose, the readily available quick fixes, but the root-drenching, soul-quenching kind that can only come from God himself.


While out grocery shopping yesterday I heard this great song on K-Love that I haven't heard in a while.  It's by the group Need to Breath and is called Washed by the Water.  The chorus struck me.

Even when the rain falls
Even when the flood starts rising
Even when the storm comes
I am washed by the water

We all go through stuff that seems bigger than we can handle or know how to deal with.  On a personal note, sometimes I feel we are just trying to keep our heads above water with our finances.  One paycheck from going under.  As a stay at home mom, living on one income is a struggle sometimes. But God is good and He provides.  I get such joy from grocery shopping because it means I can feed my family even if I have to crunch the numbers to make it work.  I hurt for mothers across the world who cannot experience that same joy.


This morning God taught me to raise my arms and praise Him just like my plants.  Despite the storm, the wind, the heavy rain.   The sun comes up in the morning and a new day begins.  There is so much to be thankful for.


If you are in a tough season of life or just having a rough day, remember my plants.  Let all creation rejoice before the Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment