Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Trick that Melted the Final Pounds

Seems like everyone is trying to lose weight.  That's not surprising considering one in three adults is considered obese according to the CDC.  Check out these facts from the CDC website:
  • More than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese. 
  • Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, some of the leading causes of preventable death.
  • In 2008, medical costs associated with obesity were estimated at $147 billion; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight.
You can read all about it from the original source HERE.

I don't need to tell you all the reasons that people want to shed the pounds.  You probably know.  I was no exception.  Looking back at the pictures I am embarrassed that I let it get so out of control.  I'm sure a lot of people can relate.  It sort of started in college with the freshman 15, I mean 30.  Slowly over time I kept packing on the pounds.  I would lose some for a trip, get back to my "goal" weight, and then start gaining it again. Only this time, faster.  I tried all kinds of diet pills.  Get thin fast schemes that were not only ineffective but actually harmful to my health.  Jitters means the pills are working.  NOT!!!  I tried body creams, shakes, bars, cabbage soup, starvation except for one hour of the day where I could gorge myself, Atkins, South Beach, and then there was what I thought was the end all, be all... Weight Watchers (WW).

July 2009, size 20

Weight Watchers seemed to be the most productive for me.  I actually lost quite a bit of weight this way but when I stopped attending meetings the weight trickled back.  And would I really need to count points for the rest of my life?  I don't want to journal forever.  Most of the methods I tried proved to be successful for a period of time.  For months I paid my dues only to step on the scale at the same weight, frustrated with myself for not following the program better.  I was 20 pounds from goal after having lost 70 pounds!  The end was in sight but I just couldn't move the scale.

Jan 2013 very close but still trying to get rid of those last 20 pounds, size 10/12

My story is not uncommon.  Our society has programmed us to diet.  Millions of dollars are being made on the next miracle trick/pill/diet.  Meanwhile our bodies are SCREAMING at us to stop with with the yo-yoing already!!!  And how many toxins are we putting in our bodies by trying to eat "light" or "fat free" or "low carb"?

You may have heard this before but keeping the pounds off is not about "dieting" for a period of time and going back to your bad habits.  It's about a lifestyle change.  I used to say I was making a lifestyle change by doing Weight Watchers.  But then I would "cheat" and feel guilty.  There is no "cheating" in a true lifestyle change.  It's a complete different way of thinking.

In January 2013 our family decided to try to live a more natural lifestyle.  We began cutting processed foods, chemicals and toxins, Diet Coke or any pop for that matter, and significantly reduced our intake of meat.  In doing this we replaced our old food with organic whole foods, lots of water, juicing, and tons of fresh fruit and veggies.  If I can make it myself I don't buy it pre-made from the store.  This includes things like all kinds of bread, tortillas, crackers, salsa, pasta sauce, salad dressings, and many snack foods.  We didn't switch because I wanted to lose weight.  I wasn't even trying.  The weight started to come off on its own.  No counting, no "watching what I eat".  I eat real butter, full fat cheese, several different oils, and even homemade sweets with gooey chocolate.  I generally eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.

 
Dancing with my hubby in a size 8 dress, May 2013

The trick, I found, is not to get hung up on the calories, fat, carbohydrates, or protein.  Sure they are important.  But by instead focusing on the ingredients we have been able to clean up our food, reduce the chemicals that trick us into eating more processed foods, have more energy, and ultimately come to a healthy weight range.


If you are stuck in the yo-yo diet world or even if you are a recovery yo-yo-er addict like myself, I would encourage you to watch the documentary, Hungry For Change.  This show will help you understand why the statistics are so bad and how cleaning up your diet can save your life.  Check out the trailer HERE. This is one of the biggest reasons we decided to take the plunge and change the way we eat.  And I'm so glad we did.  Goodbye pounds.  I will not miss you.

3 comments:

  1. Since I've only ever known you ” post lifestyle change”, it's so crazy to see your ” before” pics! You're amazing, and a fabulous example to your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, Kristin! You look fantastic and it sounds like you're doing it the right way! I'm sure you will inspire others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! Your comments are sweet.

    ReplyDelete