Monday, June 17, 2013

Homemade Soy Sauce

Our family likes a good stir fry.  It's so easy to make and a great way to use fresh vegetables from the farmer's market.  Toss it in a wok with a little oil and some soy sauce and serve over rice.  Dinner in minutes!

Obviously I figured soy sauce was made from soy but I was unaware of the other ingredients.  One look at the back of the bottle and I made the executive decision that we would no longer buy that stuff. It sort of reminded me of some kind of chemical soup.


So onto looking up homemade soy sauce.  I wanted to make something out of what I had on hand and since I did not have any soy products or any knowledge on how to process said soy, I came up with this.  It is modified from a soy sauce substitute recipe I found.  It turned out pretty tasty and did it's job as a good substitute.

Soy Sauce Substitute

1 1/2 cups beef broth
4 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Dark Molases
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch white pepper
1 pinch garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.  Boil gently for 15 min.  That's it!  So simple.


Why waste the bottle?  I just put my homemade sauce back in the soy sauce bottle.  Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment