Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sweet and Savory Snacks


Ready for some more snack recipes?  My last snack post went over pretty well so I figured I would expand on it a little.  Thank you everyone who takes the time to read this blog.  Hope you are enjoying it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Here are few more snack recipes that we like to munch on around here.

Roasted Chick Peas

I saw this one on Pinterest and decided to give it a try.  You can find the original recipe HERE.  There are so many ways you can dress these up.  I think I'm going to try a chex mix flavor next with some Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt... maybe some onion powder.


I prefer to use dried Garbanzo beans (chick peas) but you can certainly use canned as well.  Just like beans, you can soak these babies over night if you have time or you can use a quick method.  Since I am a total procrastinator I almost always use the quick method.  Place your chick peas in a pot and cover with water.  Remember that they will expand to about twice their size so allow room for that.


Bring the water to a boil for five minutes and then turn the burner off.  Leave the pot there and let the beans soak for an hour.  Once they have doubled in size, drain and rinse.  Now you are ready for the recipe!




 Granola:

Granola is such an EASY snack to make.  You don't have to go off of this exact recipe.  Just use what you have!  Sometimes I put sunflower seeds in it or use different grain cereals.  You can use peanut butter and honey or just honey.  I found that if I use more honey it becomes crunchier and sticks together more.  This is the basic recipe I use.


1/4 c peanut butter
1/4 c honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup organic rolled barley
1 cup organic rolled oats

Melt peanut butter and honey together either by way of microwave (which I did to save time) or on the stove top.  Add in cinnamon and vanilla.  


Add in barely and oats and mix well.  


Spread out on a cookie sheet lined with a baking mat or parchment paper.  Toast in the oven at 325 degrees for 8-10 min.  Let cool completely before eating as it gets crispier when cooled.


Enjoy by itself, as a cereal with milk, or on top of yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment