Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Zumba Ministry




Alright friends, family, blog followers and readers.... The time has finally come that I get to teach a faith based Zumba class!

Wait. A what?

Yes. You read correctly. This is a Christian based Zumba class unlike any Zumba class you have probably taken before. I know you're chuckling to yourself right now picturing a bunch of crazies raising their hands to Jesus and prancing around to "Jesus Loves Me." That's NOT what this class is. Not that either of those things are wrong mind you, just not in a ZUMBA class!

But first, let me tell you how the idea began. For me, it started with the verse from 1 Peter that says, 
"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10.
This is an interesting concept is it not? I mean its great for people that can speak well or teach or sing. But what about someone like me? Someone like you? God gives us each unique abilities that can be used for his glory. They might be obvious or they might just be something you never though of.  For me it is dance.

For as long as I can remember I have loved music. My mom and dad both were huge influences in my life in this regards. There is a post I did on my family blog a while back about all the ways they have inspired me to be who I am today. You can read it HERE. In Junior High I tried out for Drill Team with no previous dance history and made it which began a long time love of dance. Now every time I hear a good beat, my soul cannot help but move.

I believe my gift is dance and fitness. I have been a dancer for over 17 years in various capacities. Five of those years were spent coaching a 5th and 6th grade dance team and then of course becoming a Zumba instructor two years ago.

I feel dancing is a God-given gift that lifts spirits and makes us feel happy and stress-free. It's also a great way to give honor and praise to our King. I believe dancing can even be an act of worship. Have you ever felt like dancing during worship on Sunday mornings? I have. I know, I'm a nerd. But Jeremiah 31:13 says, 

“Then the young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.”
It’s hard to leave a Zumba class without feeling joy instead of sorrow! Had a bad day?  Take a Zumba class!  Exercise in general is one of the best ways to take care of our bodies. I believe we are to be good stewards of our bodies as we are, after all, “temples of the Holy Spirit.” I think this will be a fantastic ministry for those who want to praise God in a unique way and feel great about their health and wellness. I am encouraged to know there are other Zumba instructors who feel the same way. 

My friend Angela Goss will be co-teaching the class with me.  It was no accident that we both contacted the church in the same week.  We met in another Zumba class at the YMCA but neither of us knew we went to the same church, or that the other had already contacted the church about getting a class going.  It was God's doing of course.  

In February of 2012 my husband and I started feeling called to move to Colorado. He has always wanted to live here but I was always content to live near our family and friends in Kansas City - Until God started stirring in me that it was time to move. We felt like there were great things that we were supposed to do here and when we found Red Rocks Church online we knew this was the church He was calling us to. Since moving here last September I have been settling in and wondering, OK God, now what? That is when He convicted to concern myself with overall nutrition and health and it occurred to me that I really want to take care of my body as a way to honor God. That is how this blog came about in the first place. (Welcome To Sports Bras and Aprons Post). And I believe that this new class is another door being opened for me.

The class will be part of Red Rocks Church Fitness Ministry which is a part of the larger Sports Ministry. We are planning to start on October 3rd. Details on location and times to come. Currently we are looking at Thursday nights at 7:30 at Step In Style Dance Studio.  

I know some of you will have a lot of questions.  You can check out some common FAQ's about this faith based class by clicking HERE.

I will be posting more information on the specific times and locations on my Zumba Website as we nail things down.  I felt led to share it here on my blog as it caters to our minds, bodies, and souls.  I hope you will consider checking it out in the future!

So What is your gift?  What are you good at?  What do you love to do.  And how can you use YOUR gifts for the Glory of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment