Thursday, August 8, 2013

Breakfast Zucchini Muffins (AKA Cinnamon Muffins)


I wish I could say that we have oodles of zucchini growing in our garden but we don't.  I think we have animals that carry away the new buds before they have a chance to grow.  So far we have only harvested two.  They were two very tasty (and large) zucchinis but that is all we have gotten.  The good news is zucchini is very cheap right now!  I had started looking up all kinds of recipes in anticipation of a great crop.  There's no way I'm letting one little small detail get in the way of trying out new stuff.  I'll just go to my favorite store, Sprouts, and call it good.


This recipe was a hit in my house (until my oldest son discovered it actually had vegetables in it!).  I called them cinnamon muffins and it was great because the house was kind of dark with the curtains drawn when we sat down to eat.  He gobbled one up and told me it was good.  Then we went outside and he took a second.  That's when he noticed the green bits inside.  It was all over for him!  My other kiddo didn't mind one bit.  If you know my kids, you might guess which one didn't care.  Ethan, my youngest will basically eat ANYTHING.  Ethan and I finished them up over the next few days.

Breakfast Zucchini Muffins

Ingredients:

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup soy protein powder  *optional*
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup melted coconut oil
3 cups shredded zucchini (squeezed)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together flour salt, spices, protein powder, and baking powder.  In your mixing bowl, beat the eggs.  Add sugar, vanilla, and oil and mix well.  Add zucchini to the egg mixture.  Add in dry ingredients and blend well.  Pour batter into 2 greased or lined cupcake pans.  Bake for 30 minutes then, using a toothpick, check for done-ness. If the toothpick comes out clean, it's done!  

Mine turned out a little flat topped but they tasted awesome and they were perfectly moist.  Not too dense.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment