Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Do you smell something?


I don't know about you, but I am paranoid about what I smell like.  Heaven forbid someone think I stink right?!  Come on, you know it makes you uncomfortable when someone near you has bad breath or even worse, B.O.  It seems I've been programmed, like many other people, that we should cover up our natural human smell.  I mean, what do humans even smell like anyway?  With all the body sprays, perfumes, deodorants, lotions, and powders we wear, it's no wonder we are conditioned to smell so ... unnatural.

Well I know what I smell like after a Zumba class or what my breath smells like in the morning and it is NOT pretty.  So I'm not quite ready to find out what this human smells like without any help!  So to honor my attempt to use only natural DIY products over 30 days, I have found some recipes to help out with my, ahem, problem.

Body Spray

This recipe was so easy.  I used distilled water instead of filtered water, mostly because I don't have filtered water!  It smells fantastic but the downfall is it doesn't last long.  I like having a spray for after workouts though.


Deodorant

The recipe I used is one I kept seeing over and over again on all kinds of natural living blogs.  It is easy, uses only 3 or 4 ingredients and is very cost effective.  You can use an old deodorant container to store it in or just use a jar.  I chose to use an old container.  Here's how you do it:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup corn starch
6 tbsp organic coconut oil
a few drops of tea tree oil or other essential oil for fragrance if you prefer


Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well until the mixture comes together and all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Transfer the mix to your jar or deodorant container.  I actually put it in a zip lock bag and squeezed it in so that there would be less mess.  Let harden by placing it in the fridge for a few minutes.

I can't say I'm "in love" with this method but it gets the job done.  The pros are that it's very easy to make and it does keep me smelling good.  I don't end up feeling too wet so it does keep me dry.  You will still sweat but not as much if you are using tea tree oil because of it's anti-fungal/antibacterial properties.  The downside?  It melts very fast.  Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees so if you are accustomed to throwing it in your gym bag which sits in your warm car...  or you don't have air conditioner and your house sits above 76 degrees during the day...  it will melt.  I find this very annoying which is why I can't say I love it.  I usually end up keeping it in the fridge which works well enough.


In an effort to remedy this problem I decided to try Tom's all natural deodorant.  I hate it!  It leaves me feeling wet and sticky and never drys up.  So it's back to the homemade stuff for me.  I will just have to change my deo routine and keep it in the fridge.

Baking Soda Toothpaste

Brace yourself...  this recipe takes some getting used to.  The first time I brushed my teeth with it I was shocked by how salty it tasted.  It grossed me out if I am being totally honest.  I have since gotten more used to it and it doesn't bother me quite as bad anymore.  The baking soda acts a neutralizer and helps to fight bad breath (and bacteria) while the peppermint leaves a nice after taste.  Well, an after, after taste.  You know, after you get over the salt shock.


 It's hard to put in a tube or bottle.  I've tried several kinds but in the end I just put it in a small jar and dip my toothbrush in it.  You can also make a mouthwash by mixing a small amount of baking soda and diluting it with water.  Rinse and spit...  yummy...

I'm saving lotions for last so stay tuned as they can be used to smell nice and pretty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment