Monday, September 15, 2014

Amazing and Easy Coffee Cake

My baking has changed a bit since moving into the Rocky Mountains.  Many of my old recipes have had to have some adjustments.  I've learned what works and what doesn't.  And I've learned that adding eggs to things is a high altitude baker's best line of defense against dense cakes and muffins.  Even though I personally am at an altitude of 8,125 ft, I know that for most reading my blog, you are not.  So I've decided to put the original recipe link up and post my proven high altitude adjustments here.

This recipe was one that my wonderful husband found on Allrecipes.com.  Yes, he actually DID bake me a coffee cake several times before I started making it myself.  He's awesome like that.  The recipe is wonderful as is.  It's amazing.  Seriously.  And you don't need a mixer or anything.  Just a bowl and some elbow grease.  Our family of 4 knocks it out in one day!  (Something I should probably not admit!)

Here is the original recipe from Allrecipes.com for those NOT at high altitude.  Aunt Anne's Coffee Cake


Same Coffee Cake with Altitude Adjustments

Ingredients:

2 heaping cups organic all purpose flour (about 1/4 cup extra)
3/4 cup organic sugar - less about 2 tsp
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk 
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the topping:
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup brown or white sugar (we like brown)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  We use our convection oven - if using convection set to the same temperature but you will end up baking for less time.  Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.  Make the topping by mixing ingredients together and cutting in the butter until it resembles course crumbs.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt (all the dry ingredients) and mix well.  I like to whisk it a bunch to make sure it is combined well.  You can also sift together. Cut in the butter until you get a consistency of corn meal.  Add the eggs to a measuring cup and pour in milk until you have about 1 1/4 cups of liquid.  Add to the dry mixture and mix until just moistened.  It should not be thick like dough so add more milk if needed.  But it should also not be as wet as normal cake batter.  It does tend to be a little thicker than that.  Sprinkle the top with streusel toppings.

Bake in preheated CONVENTIONAL oven for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  For a CONVECTION oven bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment