You can use old t-shirts of your own, your spouses, or find one for cheap at your local thrift store. You aren't limited to what is on the front, you can actually use the back side if you like it better. The tee can be too big or even too small. There are cuts to make them fit you either way although you don't want them to be too small. You can make baby T's, halter tops, regular tanks, one shoulder strap, off the shoulders - really the sky is the limit.
This tutorial will be for a halter top with slits in the back. In addition to the sexy cool look of the slits in the back, they actually serve a purpose. The t-shirt I found at ARC thrift store (for $1.50!) was just a tad too small for my liking. By cutting the slits and stretching them out, I was able to effectively make my shirt a little bigger.
Check out my tutorial video
1. Pick up a tee at your local thrift store.
2. Cut off the collar.
3. Cut off the sleeves.
4. Cut a straight line across the back at armpit level.
5. Cut out your ties for the halter.
6. Cut several strips in the back and stretch. Tip: To make a tight shirt a little more loose, stretch the strips out a lot. To make a huge shirt smaller, cut the strips in the middle and tie a knot in each one making it as snug as you need.
7. Cut the front neck line to your liking and stretch.
8. Sport your new shirt at your next Zumba class!
I hope you've been inspired to make your own cut t-shirt. Now it's time to workout and show off your creation! Check out my Zumba site for times on upcoming events and classes.
P.S. It doesn't HAVE to be a holiday shirt ;)