Monday, March 24, 2014

Make Your Own "Bisquick"

Years ago I came across a substitute recipe for using Bisquick when I realized I had run out of it.  I like the recipe so much that I have never bought another box of baking mix since.  


I like Bisquick - have nothing against it other than I now question what other things may be hiding in that innocent little box of powdery goodness.  Plus, I feel I can make a healthier version of it.  I use this mix to make biscuits and pie crusts mostly but you can use it in place of any "baking mix" in any recipe you come across.  It's very simple and you can store it in your refrigerator for a very long time.  I'm not sure exactly how long but lets just say mine has never gone bad.

Here is the basic recipe that can be doubled or tripled to fit your needs.  Bear in mind, it takes about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of this mix to make one pie crust.  I can usually get away with one cup for my pie plate, but some people may have larger ones.  Therefore, one recipe will make one pie crust.

Basic Baking Mix Substitute:

1 cup organic flour (you can use whole wheat instead but the consistency will turn out different)
1 tsp sea salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder (at high altitudes just use 1 tbsp)
1 tbsp coconut oil

Blend together until it resembles the same consistency of corn meal.  I like to use my potato masher to achieve this!  (For more potato masher ideas click HERE.)  Of course you can use a simple pastry cutter to get the job done or even a fork.  Make sure to store whatever you do not use in your refrigerator as coconut oil will melt in temperatures above 76 degrees which could effect your mix.  


No comments:

Post a Comment